Monday, October 26, 2009

RTK Inspired Workouts....

I haven't been doing a strict "block periodization" RTK program, but I have been incorporating a number of exercises into my two-a-day, 6 days a week program. It has been going well so far. Since I am still doing a lot of barbell training and bowling, I don't feel that I can give the full RTK program justice yet.

Initial insights:
* Double Ladders Jerks, Presses, and Snatches really fill up the posterior chain and shoulders up with muscle. I can see it in the mirror and on the scale. And I am much closer to 40 than 20.
* Even though I am not even doing the full program, I am hungry all of the time just like the book said I would be.
* You learn jerks by doing them. Ladders (e.g., 5 x 2,4,6,8, 10) are great for learning them because you get a lot of "first reps" where you dial in your form (similar to West Side Barbell). Also, in RTK it is about volume, not energy conservation.
* Some of the new exercises (Side Snatches, Front Snatches, Double Dead Cleans, Pullovers) are good for jacked up shoulders like mine.

What I have been doing is:
* On my leg day, I am doing ladders of 24kg Double C&J for 5 ladders of (2,4,6,8, 10). I tested myself afterwards and I was able to get 6 with double 32kg bells. I am going to start doing 32kg x 4 x 2,4,6.
* On shoulder workouts all I do is 24kg Double MP ladders of 5 x 2,4,6,8,10 ==> I am going to start with 3 x 1,2,3 with the 32kg. I have also been doing some stacked pressed and double stacked presses recently.
* I have been doing double snatches with the 24kg bells on my KB only days. I have also done uneven snatches with two bells, which are not as unbalance as you would think.

This is great stuff. My personal opinion is that this book was not as well written as ETK, but the workout/exercises are exactly what a somewhat experienced girevik needs. My body can feel the difference.

No comments: