Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I still don't understand.....

....the logic behind core workouts. I hear of people doing entire core workouts and core bootcamps. Even though I think that this can be effective, I never understood why you would do it for the following reasons:

* Any time you lift anything heavy, like a near maximum effort deadlift, bench or squat - you activate your core big time. In fact, for many lifters, the core is what falls apart first. And not just rectus abdominus either. Since you are using the "core" for stabilization, by definition you must recruit the ENTIRE core musculature to stabilize the torso for that effort. Even a KB press needs a contracted core.


* I have a three very basic exercises that I use that I would consider a core workout, in order of frequency used:
- Renegade Row (about 2-3x/week)
- Turkish Get Up (about 1-2x/week)
- Russian Twists (about 1x/week), but I do them in a Roman chair. You "core" can't hide in this position.

==> None of these exercises need to be done for more than 10 minutes, much less have a whole workout dedicated to them. My opinion is that if it takes longer than 10 minutes, you are not working hard enough. I incorporate core into all workouts for clients because to me if I dedicate workouts to core exercises, it takes away from teaching real exercises. I know that I can do almost everyone's core workout that I see, but most people don't attempt the stuff I do...this leads me to believe I got the right perspective.

No comments: