Saturday, August 23, 2008

Haven't been posting in a while....new PR

My bowling has been crap.... (tendonitis in fingers, elbow and shoulder)
My training has been crap.... (see above)
My health has been crap.... (sinus infection)

Given that I haven't done any real snatching in 5 weeks, I wanted to "benchmark" my current conditioning to plan for the future. I decided to do 10L/10R snatches at the top of the minute and see how many minutes I could last. I was expecting to get between 4 and 6 minutes, given my recent training and health....

Well, I did say that this was a PR. I actually made it 10 minutes.In fact, here was the rep scheme:
9 x 10L/10R (top of the minute)
1 x 10L/15R

205 snatches in 10 minutes (SSST)

I called this an accidental PR because I never expected to achieve anything close to an SSST limiting myself to 20 reps/min.

I am going to give this a new name - SSST/Hard Way (it sounds cool).

Some observations:
* I never really slowed down. After the twenty snatches, I pretty much had about 20-22.5 seconds left to rest for all sets.
* My left hand snatches (groove sucks) took about 20 seconds, my right handed snatches took about 17.5 (very smooth and compact)
* I never really felt tired or weak ..., I think that I could have gotten a couple more minutes. I was a lot more dead when I did 130 snatches in 5 minutes.

Maybe six weeks of some halfway decent training, I could hit 230 in the SSST.I may try to do 11L/11R and see if I can maintain that pace for 10 minutes (220 snatches), THEN try the full bore SSST, no limits.Also, for those that ask questions about snatches and ETK, top of the minute snatches would be A good way to measure and modulate volume.

Assuming 10 reps/set is Heavy; then:
8 reps/set would be medium;
6 reps/set would be light (but "perfect")

7 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

230 is yours. No question about it. 10/10 for 10 minutes as a baseline while recovering from illness? You heal, you train, and you achieve much, much more.

After you hit 230, go back and nail more than 130 in the 5 minute test.

MKSchinabeck said...

Hey Faizal,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and adding me as a link on your site. I have returned the favor. My training program for the snatch test has gone very well. The backbone of your program developed for Aaron has provided the same results for me. I am feeling quite confident that I will be able to perform phyiscally for the cert. Just need my back to heal up so I can get back to the program. I look forward to joining you in the ranks of the RKC.

Matt

Faizal S. Enu said...

Aaron: Great job on the 20L/20R!

Matt: You will own the Snatch test and the rest of the RKC weekend. You are propared! Bring it home!

Terence Mitchell said...

Hey Faiz

Good to hear from you! hope you well,

You are now hooked up to my blog, thanks very much for the link.

I'll shoot you an email soon, about training

Mitch

Terence Mitchell said...

Hey Faiz

Thanks very much for hooking up my link! You are now on my blog, hope you are well!

Ill shoot u an email soon, about training.

Mitch

fawn said...

Faizal,
Have you ever considered trying Z health to treat your tendinitis? I have had some really amazing results...

Faizal S. Enu said...

Fawn:

I have definitely considered Z-health, more because I have deficiencies in my movement patterns (e.g., I can't do a pistol).